Monday, February 28, 2011

Campoli with Meatballs

As reported all over this glorious tool I like to call the interweb, meet your newest Blackhawk:

Nick Leddy? Is that you?


Rumors are flying around about this trade the Hawks made with the Ottawa Senators this afternoon for 6'0" 190lb Chris Campoli. The Hawks sent Ryan Potulny and a conditional 2011 2nd-round pick, to Ottawa for Campoli and a conditional 7th-round pick. I can't say I know much about Campoli, or that I even SHOULD know much about him. Campoli was a New York Islanders draft pick in 2004 (7th round). He is currently riding out a one year deal worth $1.4 million. He had a promising rookie season with 34 points in 05-06, but has yet to eclipse 18 points, since. His scouting report reads as follows:
  • Assets - Is extremely mobile and very polished when in possession of the puck. Can make up for his mistakes with his speed. Has some offensive ability.
  • Flaws - Needs to work on his defensive-zone coverage, which is spotty at best. Struggles when he has to lay on the body, and can get manhandled in front of his own net.
  • Career Potential - Mobile defenseman with consistency issues.
  • Awards - 2004 AHL All-Rookie Team, 2003 Canadian Major Junior Humanitarian Player of the Year, 2003 OHL Dan Snyder Memorial Trophy (Humanitarian Player of the Year), 2003 OHL Third All-Star Team.
I'm not really sure how I feel about this, but I know for a fact that I'm more heartbroken about the second round pick than I am the loss of Ryan Potulny. He sounds like a flaky, less talented Brian Campbell to me. I was hoping for more of a big physical defenseman, and I haven't gotten my wish yet. This guy may be an upgrade over Jordan Hendry, but he adds to the laundry list of guys that aren't going to be able to push people around, in front of Crow. I'm not sure I get it.


Share:

Shoutcast Player

Instagram

Facebook Page

Blog Archive